Thursday, October 13, 2011

Inspiration: Shingai Shoniwa

I remember when I bought my pair of Doc Marten's in London, in the bag I found a CD, and since I was studying abroad and didn't have a computer with a disc drive or a CD player I wasn't able to listen to any of the songs until I was back in the states in December and one of the songs on there was a cover of The Buzzcock's song "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't)" by the band the Noisettes, which I did like, but never invested more time into looking for more music by them, until now.  Their music is fun and exciting, but I found out their lead singer Shingai Shoniwa is a total inspiration. Her clothing and hair is the best and I love how she performs on stage. She's always wearing these really colorful outfits and I love them all. Wikipedia has this to say about her:
Shingai Elizabeth Maria Shoniwa (first name pronounced shing-guy; born on 1 September 1981) is an English singer of Zimbabwean descent and best known as the vocalist and bassist for the UK indie rock band Noisettes. Her first name, Shingai, means ‘be strong’ in the Shona languageCritical response to Shoniwa's performance has largely been positive. Rolling Stone magazine said that "Shoniwa is a living, breathing manifestation of the rock & roll spirit, with a voice that is equal parts Iggy Pop and Billie Holiday." In her stage persona, Shoniwa looks like what the New Yorker called "an African supermodel", and she frequently performs in bare feet while wearing face paint or fur hats on stage.                                - Wikipedia
 Pretty awesome I think. I would love to see them play live. Check out their video for "Sister Rosetta (Capture the Spirit)" and "Don't Give Up."

 

Totally awesome, right? Here are some photos of the beautiful Shingai Shoniwa.

(via: flickr)
(via: missronai)
(via: missronai)
(via: coverme - Dr. Marten's cover info here)
(via: tumblr, from London V Festival)
(via: fashionbombdaily from Harper's Bazaar)
(via: harlemloves from Harper's Bazaar)
(via: tumblr)
(via: tumblr)
(via: tumblr)

(via: tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...