Sunday, November 6, 2011

Knitting Inspiration: Mittens

Lately I've become obsessed with intarsia mittens from Norway, Sweden, and anywhere else. I haven't been able to learn all that much about the history and the background behind all the amazing designs I've seen, but I hope to in the future (the local libraries I went to yesterday were lacking some serious... everything, weakest libraries I've ever been to for sure). Besides the history, the images I've found and the patterns (free mostly too!) have made me feel completely inspired to try my own. I have tons of ideas for these mittens I hope to accomplish (I've started my own simple pair out of the one decent book about Norwegian mittens I was able to find at a local library). So I thought I'd share with you some of the amazing mittens I found while prowling around the internet, hope you get just as inspired as me! 

"36x 36 mitten Building Chart" by Jessica Tromp on Ravelry
"Egyptian Mittens" by Tuulia Salmela on Ravelry
"Cuckoo Mittens" by Odessa Reichel on Knitty.com
"Norwegian mittens" by strikkepinnerogandrepinner on Flickr
"A bird in the hand mittens #1" by Jorid Linvik on Ravelry
"Andene's Norwegian Mittens" by cheeprent6696 on Flickr
"Barnvante från Lövsjön"  by Doris Oskarsson on Ravelry
"Norwegian Totoro Mittens" by brella on Ravelry
"Mystery + Manners" by SpillyJane on Ravelry
"Magpie Mittens" by yarnjungle on Ravelry
"Dala Selbu Hybrid (Dala-Selbuvotter)" by Wenche Roald on Ravelry
"Lots 'a mittens" by cheeprent6696 on Flickr
"selbu mittens" by chuckchum on Flickr
"Selbu mittens and finger mittens" by Strikkelise on Flickr
"kauni+selbu" by hegchen2009 on Flickr

If you are interested in more patterns (free too, the best kind of patterns) then check out this site, it has so many amazing patterns and a blank template for you to create your own, plus millions of other knitting patterns for a hundred other things, really an amazing site. 
Also, this book "Selbuvotter: Biography of a Knitting Tradition" has been referenced all over the sites I've been looking at, and I'm thinking of getting myself a copy, looks pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...