Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Book Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman



I admit, I watched the movie way before I found out that it was based on a book, but for once I will say that I think the book was just as good as the film. Usually I tend to think that the book is always better, but the way Coraline was made into a movie has it's own life, while the book has it's own equal life as well.
Now the book does have difference when compared to the movie, but that is what gives a different (but equal) standing in my mind. 
What is most interesting about this book is that it is intended for children, yet written in a way that adults can enjoy it as well, because I sure did. I think appealing to both groups is generally a very hard thing to achieve and few authors have accomplished such a feat, but Gaiman really does a supreme job with weaving a tale that is easily understood yet very interesting at the same time without being flat. 
The illustrations in the book are another great feat. Dave McKean has a type of pen and ink style, a style that I've always loved, and the way he draws the beldam is just as frightening (if not a little more) than the movie it self. Little fact I found on wikipedia about McKean, he also has done CD cover artwork and apparently has done work for Alice Cooper, strange, no? 
Anyway, although the book is dark (well dark-er for a children type book) it isn't something I would think too scary for children. 
The movie is wonderful as well. A still shot film by Henry Selick, (know for also doing A Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach) it's quite an amazing adventure of a film. 
I highly suggest you check both the book and film out. 

Film trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...